Saturday, July 14, 2012

The First 48hrs

Not the crime show, just my life over the past two days:


London's Terminal 5. If you ever need recommendations on what to do for 8 hours while you are there; I can give you the best places to eat, nap, how to get internet, and the secrets they don't tell you about gates B & C.

I arrived into Pretoria around 10am which is 3am home time. My initial thought about Johannesburg was how big it was. Seriously this city is HUGE! I was told that it is the largest city in the world not located near a body of water. Since it is winter here everything is a reddish-clay color. The days are around 60 ish degrees, but it is overcast. The best way to describe it is if Arizona met Northwest Arkansas in the winter then grew about 500%.  After getting picked up and taken to the office to get my keys I decided that I would push to try and stay awake for the rest of the day...woof. The very first thing I did was take a shower-cue the Hallelujah chorus! Annette, my awesome boss, was kind enough to take me on a tour of Hatfield and show me how to get a cell phone/use the train. The cell phone is my life source. I can't explain to you how amazing it was to call some of my classmates that have been here for a month and hear their voices. Today (Saturday) I explored Hatfield and went to brunch with Annette in Johannesburg. I'm really looking forward to Monday to start work, everyone in my office has been incredibly nice and some schedule will be just what I need. British Airways happened to lose my small bag, which should be delivered tomorrow. Say a prayer that it comes and my hairdryer and jacket are still there.

View of a street in Hatfield. The bright green tree on the right is called a Jacaranda tree. Sometime during September they should be turning purple!

The University of Pretoria is a few blocks away...just in case I need to get another degree when this is all said and done.


No comments:

Post a Comment